Collaborative, assertive, flexible, passionate, driven, inspired. These aren’t just nice words, they’re the start of every great Fluidigm career.
We are a growing community of thinkers and creators, dedicated to pursuing the fundamental truths of biology. We seek to empower and inspire our customers and each other to push limits and envision ever more creative answers to “what if…?” As the industry pioneer and leader in revolutionary single-cell technology, we are committed to enabling biological exploration at every level.
And if you’re into all that too, we’re ready to commit to you.
Fluidigm is looking for a highly-motivated Senior Software Developer with strong UI development experience, to help revamp the user experience of our cutting-edge scientific software products. This is a full-time position in Markham, ON, Canada.
You love code. You love to take novel ideas and build great products with C# and .NET. You know WPF is imperfect, but you embrace its positives and genuinely enjoy coding in it. At the end of the day, your passion is to write clean, simple code and ship new products and features (or improve existing ones).
You love great UX. You spend most of your time coding, but you also have an eye for great design and a feel for great UX. Maybe you were once a designer (or still are) or maybe your creative outlet has always been the code. Either way, great UX is of monumental importance to you.
You love learning new things. You love playing with new tech. Your focus is on front end .NET code, but you can dig in wherever needed. Back end, SQL Server, build tools, you name it. If you don’t already know it, you’re ready to learn it.
You can balance lots of concerns. As a front end dev you’ll need to take into account product performance (which integrates with hardware, drivers and devices that we can’t fully control), customer needs, UX research, code quality, and the list goes on. And we actually want to ship things too! You can balance those demands without getting overwhelmed, and keep the needle moving forward.
You love helping others. You love sharing knowledge with the rest of your team, the broader Fluidigm community, and directly helping customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take our software UI to the next level. Lead UI development efforts on our next .NET desktop product, and implement a delightful new UI with powerful customer-facing features
- Translate design into code. Work closely with UX designer, scientists, biologists, product managers and end users to understand their needs, implement intuitive UI, seek feedback, and iterate
- Develop features with strong attention to detail. You will be responsible for pixel-perfect implementation of designs
- Educate internal stakeholders on UI best practices and communicate trade-offs between feature richness, usability and development effort
- Progressively modernize our .NET code base and introduce features at a pace appropriate to technical and marketing needs
- Contribute to the architecture, design, and development of our applications
- Switch comfortably between front end and back end development work. Over time you should expect to become very familiar with the back end code
- Perform various design, development, documentation, and debugging tasks with other developers
- Take ownership of UI and other parts of the code and oversee their maintainability and technical quality
- When needed, produce architecture documents, feature requirement and design documents
- 8+ years of .NET software development experience
- 4+ years of UI dev experience, with strong familiarity of latest web, mobile and desktop UI design trends
- Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field
- Strong development skills in C#, .NET framework (3.5 – 4.7) and C++ for desktop applications
- Strong knowledge of WPF, MVVM, XAML, WinForms, user control design, XML, LINQ, GUI data binding, typed datasets, SQL Server, TSQL, and SSRS
- Practical experience applying different architectural patterns and styles (e.g., N-Tier or Plugin architecture).
- Strong background in asynchronous programming patterns and event driven applications.
- Experience with Agile Scrum methodology, unit testing (e.g. NUnit), code repositories (e.g., Git, VSTFS), coding standards, code reviews, team tools (e.g., JIRA, Slack), and software testing
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent practical judgement. When facing hard problems you should know when to amp up efforts and when to suggest easier alternatives
- Genuine interest in the Fluidigm mission of helping researchers make the next breakthrough in medical research
- Post-secondary education background in Biology, Chemistry or Physics
- Experience working with mass spectrometry, flow cytometry, microscopy or similar scientific products
- Working knowledge of digital imaging and digital signal processing
- Experience with hardware integration and hardware communication protocols (e.g., USB, TCP/IP, RS232)
- Experience with WIX installer projects
- Experience working within a medical device environment (e.g., ISO 13485, IEC 62304)
- Value your contribution, enlist your feedback, and support you in your ongoing development and contribution both as an employee and a person
- Provide you with a fun, modern, sun-filled work environment in Markham, Ontario, near Rouge River walking trails and just 5 minutes drive off of Highway 404
- Host excellent company-wide events multiple times a year
- Offer onsite yoga classes, espresso and fruits, ping pong and foosball tables, board games, samosa socials, walking and running clubs, an outstanding working environment and, seriously, a lot more
How to Apply:
For this position, please submit:
- Your resume and cover letter
- Screenshot examples of UI you’ve implemented (if available)
- Answers to the following questions: What are some examples of great software UI that you admire today? How do they elevate the user experience? What is one change you’d make about them?
- Anything else that will let us know more about your skills and experiences that you’d be willing to share, ie. your GitHub, Twitter, blog, Behance, Dribbble, etc.
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements. We are an equal opportunity employer.