The right job isn’t about location or benefits or responsibilities. The right job is about personality, character, motivation, fulfillment. It’s about what inspires us, what we’re passionate about.
At Fluidigm, we’re passionate about life. Exploring it, studying it, sustaining it, living it. We make biotech tools that enable our customers and ourselves to seek truth in applied life sciences. To push limits and envision ever more creative answers to “what if…?”
Naturally, we’re also passionate about people, especially the ones we work with. We know that the right people in the right positions can do amazing things, and we love helping that happen. Now we’re looking for an Electrical Engineer II to join our talented R&D team. And if you’re the right person, we’d like to make you a deal
The electrical engineer will actively participate in circuit design, as well as system design for new products. The successful candidate will support existing products as required for Production, Field Service, or Sustaining Engineering, and will ensure all electrical designs comply with Regulatory Standards for Safety and Electromagnetic Compatibility. Lastly, he/she will support the ISO13485 Quality system and Documentation Management system as required.
Core Job Responsibilities:
Essential duties include but are not limited to:
Actively participate in circuit board design, as well as system design for new products:
- Taking new electronic circuit designs from concept to production.
- Participate in system design activities.
- Sourcing new components and sensors.
- Verification and validation testing.
Support existing products as required for Production, Field Service, or Sustaining Engineering:
- Instrument testing, trouble-shooting and repair at system level or module level.
- Provide timely support to Field Service Engineers as required.
- Provide timely support to for Sustaining Engineering activities.
- Design and/or assembly of test jigs and custom test equipment.
Ensure all electrical designs comply with Regulatory Standards for Safety and EMC:
- Working knowledge of Safety and EMC Regulatory standards for laboratory instruments.
- Ensure products comply with all relevant Electrical Safety and EMC standards.
- Participate in Electrical Safety and EMC pre-testing.
Support the ISO13485 Quality system and Documentation Management system as required:
- Familiarity with the ISO13485 quality standard.
- Prepare design documentation as required.
Education and Experience
- BS degree in “Electrical Engineering” or “Electronics Engineering” demonstrating successful completion of a minimum 4-year program at an accredited University.
- Work experience and/or work terms equivalent to a minimum of 5 years of “hands on” electronics design with some experience at the system engineering level.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of data acquisition systems for scientific instrumentation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in circuit board layout techniques.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Electrical Safety standards, as well as Electromagnetic Compatibility techniques and standards.
- Detail oriented. Must be able to pay attention to minute details.
- Persistence and ability to “find solutions” when faced with challenges.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to work with cross-functional teams including: mechanical engineering, software/firmware, research scientists, manufacturing, and quality teams to resolve issues or create new designs.
- Willingness to take on electrical design responsibilities for from concept to production.
- Proficiency with E-CAD software for circuit design and simulation.
- Proficiency with E-CAD software for circuit board layout, up to 8 layers, with advanced knowledge of safety and EMC design guidelines.
- Basic knowledge of system design issues such as power distribution and grounding, distributed control systems, design for manufacturing, reliability and risk analysis.
- Proficiency in designing analog circuits including operational amplifier circuits, voltage regulators, digital-to-analog converters, analog-to-digital converters.
- Proficiency in designing digital circuits with XILINX FPGA’s, and PIC micro-controllers.
- Demonstrate soldering skills for both through hole and surface mount components.
- Advanced knowledge of IEC61010 safety standard.
- Basic knowledge of EMC standards for laboratory equipment.
Nice to Have:
- Knowledge of serial communication ports/protocols such as USB, RS232, and RS485.
- Basic knowledge and ability to trouble-shoot data acquisition systems.
- Basic Knowledge of scientific instruments such as Mass Spectrometers, Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometers, Mass Cytometers.
- Basic knowledge of optical systems and/or lasers.
- Basic knowledge or familiarity with electro-mechanical systems using stepper motors.
- Basic knowledge of ISO13485 quality standard.
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements. We are an equal opportunity employer.