Reporting to the CEO, as part of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), this role is responsible for both leading corporate strategy development and the execution of corporate development initiatives- including projects spanning deal pipeline development, strategic investments (including M&A, joint ventures, etc.) and licensing. This role has a fundamental impact on the direction and long term value creation of the company.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience with leading strategy and management frameworks, financial analysis and/or business architecture, with a proven track record of successful M&A, business strategy development, strategic partnerships, and change management by influence.
The role requires strong teamwork and partnership with multiple stakeholders across Fluidigm and outside partners. He/she will exhibit broad strategic thinking abilities and excellent business acumen, coupled with excellent leadership skills to navigate in a matrixed environment suited to a high-performance leadership culture. The successful candidate will bring insights into healthcare decision making and the value provided by genomic and proteomics tools, with a viewpoint on how the industry will evolve in the future.
- Leads annual corporate strategy planning and the communication to Board of Directors as well as internal stakeholders
- Skilled at analyzing problems and arriving at clear decisions; able to distill information, gain clarity of ideas, synthesize, and then define next steps for execution
- Provides thought leadership on current as well as future market and technology trends
- Manages, selects, evaluates, and performs due diligence and negotiation for all licensing activities related to new business opportunities, markets, and technologies for business and product development
- Performs economic analyses of new opportunities in order to facilitate executive management review and decision-making
- Conducts market assessments, asset valuations, and intellectual property analyses of potential target opportunities;
- Leads and/or supports contract negotiations with external parties with regard to licenses and partnerships
- Prepares and delivers presentations to both internal and external partners relative to business development strategies
- 12+ years of experience in senior roles with significant strategic transaction, business development, and/or strategic-level marketing impact
- A broad understanding of the life sciences industry and key players in its underlying ecosystem. Ideally experience within the genomics/proteomics segment of the industry and or disease assessment and treatment across therapeutic area including immunology and immuno-oncology
- Maturity and executive presence and ability to navigate and develop relationships at all levels in the organization
- Very strong written and oral communicator with proven ability to think conceptually and pragmatically; capable of communicating with senior executives and becoming a trusted advisor on research and strategic issues
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership qualities; ability to collaborate effectively using broad range of influence styles to drive desired results; works well with others and is considered a true team player •
- Commitment to the highest standards of honesty and integrity
- Advanced degree (e.g., Ph.D., MBA or other masters) is preferred.
- Specialization in Strategy, Finance, Operations, Marketing or Technology