The Chief Commercial Officer will be responsible for revenue growth within the organization, reporting to the CEO. The CCO will advocate and understand the voice of the customer and take a global perspective on market opportunities while continuing to build a commercialization infrastructure and organization to drive market adoption of Fluidigm products.
The CCO will lead in the assessment and prioritization of geographic as well as clinical market segments. This is a highly strategic role, requiring a senior commercial leader who is insightful, intelligent, creative and motivated to be part of the future of translational and clinical research.
The successful CCO will possess high energy, team-building skills and outstanding business acumen. This is an extraordinary opportunity to join an exceptional team with an exciting mission.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leadership: Define Fluidigm’s commercial path to growth and profitability and establish an effective growth process and infrastructure. Develop collaborative working relationships within the organization in pursuit of the company’s overall business goals.
- Marketing: Lead development and oversight of the company’s marketing strategy, with an emphasis on developing and executing on global product marketing strategy for all product lines. This includes strategy development, product roadmap design, investment strategy, product and pricing strategy, competitive positioning/differentiation and competitor tracking, and management of on-market product/s.
- Sales: Develop and execute on the company’s sales strategy across key market segments to ensure that the company identifies and optimizes a clear path to aggressive growth. Responsible for leading the development and implementation of the strategic plan for worldwide field service, service operations, service logistics and sales operations.
- Business Development: Collaborate with Business Development and provide leadership for enterprise-wide business development opportunities. Originate and manage business development opportunities that are consistent with the company’s strategy for revenue growth.
- Global Service and Support: Ensure that Fluidigm provides industry-leading technology and tools to enable customers through best-in-class service plans and a broad menu of options. This includes embracing innovation to deliver exceptional installation, repair and other services that contribute to a superior customer experience.
This role requires a senior commercial leader who is intelligent, creative and motivated to contribute significantly to Fluidigm’s success.
EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE
- 10+ years of commercial leadership experience
- Strong leadership skills
- Demonstrated experience in developing AND executing successful commercialization strategies for life science tools companies
- Strong and demonstrated strategic thinking skills
- Ability to think creatively and develop non-traditional solutions to complex business challenges
- Outstanding sales management skill
- Strong negotiation and analytical skills
- Ability to be hands-on and strategic
- In-depth knowledge of the biopharmaceutical industry and the immuno-oncology market
- In-depth understanding of the clinical market, including FDA and CMS regulations
- Demonstrated track record of strategic collaborations with biopharma
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a demonstrated executive presence
- Ability to be independent, resourceful and self-directed
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
Understands the customer needs and how to serve them; exceptional relationship-building skills; works effectively with the sales organization to drive revenue and fundamental marketing metrics such as Product definition, Pricing, Promotion and Placement (4Ps). Experienced in managing various channels, avoiding channel conflict, setting incentive plans for sell-through models and co-marketing agreements. Is good at learning new industry, company and product trends. Stays abreast of constant shifts and changes of the business and competition. Adheres to the highest professional standards to earn the client’s trust and respect while consistently applying honesty, fairness and candor.
Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future-oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans. Ability to develop effective, actionable growth strategies and adapt to market situation and competitive landscape.
Life Science Expertise
Domain Knowledge: Ability to understand markets and technology. Relevant Experience: Has led a multifunction business (R&D, product management, market development), at scale, with multiple segments; global experience with reagents and instruments.
Recognizes and addresses issues that are outside national perspective. Issues are viewed without biases or limitations. Possesses a mindset informed by global experience; considers problems and opportunities from a global perspective. Is culturally aware and can conduct business in local terms.
Authentic Leader in Developing People and Teams
Able to move the needle on employee engagement. Experienced manager of people, programs and ideas. Proactive and results-oriented in a highly matrixed environment. Can attract, hire and retain great talent; develops strong teams; builds trust, loyalty and inspiration. Has ability to navigate ambiguity and to make tough calls when needed. Leads by example; self-aware of own strengths and opportunities.
In addition, the following broad-based leadership competencies will be
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
- The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for broad change with an understanding of how much change the organization is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable and successful.
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization's overall strategy.
Executing for Results
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
- A risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who takes smart risks.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; has ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
Relationships and Influence
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in his/her beliefs and active drive.
Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership beyond his/her own personality and engages others to the greater purpose for the organization.